Saturday, July 28, 2018

Christmas in July... and Some!!

This is a long post, but it IS three cards, so, forgivable?  Hope so :-)
I live in Western Australia... where Christmas is HOT, being in the middle of our summer and all :-)  We regularly get over 37C (100F), but at least it's not in February which is the hottest month with numerous days over 40C.  (I have worked, outside with my husband back in our pool installing days on 44C or 118F - in the shade, which we were not... it was over 50C in the sun and, no it wasn't pleasant.
All that was just to explain why I LOOOOOVE Christmas in July; I love Christmas full stop, and getting to celebrate with "traditional" fare is nice for us, as I suppose Christmas at the beach (or around your backyard pool in our case) would be for you cold-climaters :-) 
Hence... today I have a few Christmas cards to share:-)) They're all pretty CAS, that's partly because I like them that way... and partly because I invariably run out of time to get all I need made
On the first one I used a Memory Box die (called Grand Merry Christmas) to cut white glittery (very glittery, just ask my craft room floor, though it didn't shed as much as the last lot I got!) card.  I think it looks really effective over the red card.  The ribbon is from my stash, it's really lovely in real life with a gold thread through it. 
As You Like It wants to know our Favourite: Ribbon or Buttons and Why: I like both, but use more ribbon because it's easy, stays flat (ish) for posting and can add, as in this case a nice patterned element without overpowering your card.  Aud Sentiments Christmas in July plus a Sentiment, I think Grand Merry Christmas has that covered :-)

The second card features a bit of ribbon too, yes it's wonky in the pic, I DID straighten it up before sending the card :-)  I used some of my (ginarmous pile of) white snippets for this one on kraft card... you know all those rather skinny white bits you end up with when you trim sheets of card down to make your bases.  The image is a digi from Bugaboo called Snowflake Reindeer Silhouette, available here, that I printed on my laser printer then foiled using my laminator... I did make quite a few foiled cards actually - got on a bit of a roll :-)  This was the first time I've used this image, though I've had it for a while. I printed it on linen card - I know it just looks bumpy in the pic, but actually looked pretty classy IRL.  
The top half of the card was embossed with a Die'sire folder called Let it Snow, the bottom half was embossed with a folder I got with a papercraft magazine... I've got to say it embosses so well - you have to make sure you don't chop right through your card actually!  Pixies Snippets Playground wants to see Snippets, so here they are :-)  The image panel was cut using Spellbinders Ovals, the kraft mat behind it with Spellbinders Scalloped Ovals
Now the third card, lucky last.... for today!
I made a little scene using some paper from a Kaisercraft pad (can't be bothered getting up to find which one, sorry) and some more of the white glittery card I used on my first card today, cut with Lawn Fawn Stitched Hillside border dies to make the snow drifts.  I have the snow drifts at two different levels then the gold glittery reindeer (Cottage Cutz) on a layer above that; it hardly shows in the pic but did make a nice display IRL... which is just as well as it took forever-and-a-half to cut teeeeny little bits of foam dots to put behind their legs :-)) 
The Noel sentiment is a Sizzix die (Tim Holtz Script Holiday Words), the whole scene is mounted on gold foil card.  Little Red Wagon has Ice, Ice Baby as their theme, this is pretty much as close as we get at Christmas... unless you count the stuff in our poolside drinkies :-)
That's pretty much it for card three.
Catch The Bug has a Bingo Challenge as part of it's Christmas in July week-long challenge (for Day 4) I've covered seven of the square in this - if you count Gold Blue and White as three colours; using Texture, Die Cuts, Sparkle, Patterned Paper, Bugaboo Christmas Image, 3 Colours and Ribbon... of course getting three on one line was still a challenge, but I made it with my first card (Texture, Die Cut, Sparkle or Sparkle, Use 3 Colours, Ribbon
Jingle Belles have this fabulous Blog Header to inspire us, I have the reindeer, more than once in fact :-) and the snow
Now, the other thing I like about Christmas in July is all the lovely challenges that are around at this time; 
Fab'n'Funky Challenges, Hiding in- my Craft Room, and Sasayaki Glitter all have Christmas in July so I'm entering there.  A Snowflakes PromiseMerry Christmas ChallengeCrimbo Crackers and Sweet Stampin' Christmas are Christmas Challenges that all have "Anything Christmas" themes as is  Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge which has the option to "Add Some Red", which I have done
The other thing is that, as a lot of DT's are on Holidays, there's a lot of Anything Goes challenges... and right at the time I'm tucked up in my cozy craft room with time to craft - summer being our busy season with work... win/win I say.  All the following are Anything Goes challenges
Simon Says Challenge, Through the Craftroom Door, Digi Choosday, Crafty  Creations, 4 Crafty Chicks, Crafting With Friends Challenge #72, Creative Fingers, Li'l Patch of Crafty Friends, Polkadoodles, A Perfect Time to Craft,  Create and Inspire, Creatalicious Challenges, Simply Papercrafts, Crafting With Attitude, Corrosive Challenge and Card Mania Challenges 
Phew, that's it for today.  I'll be back soon with some more cards... probably Christmas, possibly foiled, then again it could be with one of the 38 still in my drafts.  Until then, Happy Crafting... or sun-soaking or family-funning - whatever you're up to, Donna

25 comments:

crafty-stamper said...

All beautiful CAS card love the foiled Reindeer and embossed strips-great use of oddments--Thank you for joining us at Create and Inspire
Carol DT x

Chris said...

Some beautiful festive creations here, you've been very busy! Thank you for entering our July challenge at CaSS.
Chris
x

Liz said...

Super Christmas cards, Donna. My favourite is the last one, such a lovely design. It's been SO hot in the UK for the last few weeks, I can't imagine celebrating Christmas in temperatures like this. xx

Pat K said...

Beautiful cas cards Donna. You've inspired me to bring out the bling paper for die cuts..they look so festive. hugs, Pat K xx

Joanna M. said...

I would LOVE Christmas in warm months to be honest. There is nothing worse than having to get bundled up to shovel snow on Christmas Day. Blah!! Fortunately December isn't our month for snow usually. Of course, I grew up in Arizona where Christmas was rarely cold despite living in the Northern Hemisphere!!

All three of your cards are stunning, Donna. Thanks for sharing them all over on the Catch The Bug blog. Good luck.
~Jo, Bugaboo DT

Celeste Goff said...

Three absolutely gorgeous Christmas cards...all beautifully done!

GalFridayStamping said...

Beautiful CAS card...love the colors! Thank you so much for joining us at Polkadoodles Digi Choosday and best of luck with your entry.

Jane DT for  http://https://digichoosday.blogspot.co.uk

Liz McGuire, said...

Gorgeous make, thanks for joining in the fun at Polkadoodles Digi Choosday Challenge, Liz x

Kelley said...

Gorgeous creations! Thanks so much for sharing with Crafty Creations Challenges!

SmilynStef said...

Adore those glittery reindeer ... so very glad you shared your inspiration from our Jingle Belles Banner.

karto_flana said...

I like CaS also ;)

Thank You for joining us at Creative Fingers challange, DT Ella.

Larissa said...

Wow Donna, these are all really pretty cards! I love the elegant style.

Imke Ludwig said...

Great interpretation of our "Ice, Ice, Baby" Challenge this week @ Little Red Wagon. Thanks for joining us with your wonderful card.

Imke ~ MY CRAFTY PLACE

Nance said...

Beautiful Christmas cards, Donna. I can see why you would enjoy doing them when it's not so hot there. In the U.S. south, Christmas can still be hot. I'm in NC where it's still kind of mild and warm in Dec. July is quite scorching however so a fun time to work on "cool" Christmas cards too. Thanks for sharing with us at 4 Crafty Chicks this week. I hope maybe this coming Christmas will be a tad cooler for you.

Mindy Baxter said...

What an awesome set of Christmas Cards. I love the embossing folders you used and all the gold! Beautiful. Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday's Anything Goes Challenge. Good Luck!

♥ Mindy

Di said...

Wonderful cards Donna and i adore your snippets entry. That leaping deer is fabulous and how clever of you to foil it! I did smile at your account of Christmas in Australia - as a child we travelled the globe and I clearly remember Christmas time in Singapore being quite 'odd' to me. Probably due to having lived in both hot and cold climates for my childhood - I always worries how Santa would cope!

Hugs

Di xx

Zw@@n said...

Beautiful cards, Donna. Love them CAS too. Thank you for joining us at As You Like It. Luv, Wilma

Michelle B. said...

So ambitious, I'm impressed! I love the bling of each card and the CAS designs are so effective! Thank you so much for joining us at Creatalicious Challenges!

lauren bergold said...

lovely cards, those sparkly reindeer are so awesome. thanks for joining our banner-inspired fun at JINGLE BELLES!

Siv said...

Beautiful Cards! Thanks for joining Polkadooldes crafting Challenge - and good luck

Siv DT

Billie A said...

Your cards are beautiful. The last one with the blue and gold sky and gold deers is stunning. I am so glad you shared over at The Merry Christmas challenge. I think I need to case that card.
Billie A
The Merry Christmas Challenge
Catch The Bug
Creative With Stamps
Aud Sentiments
Sunny Day Crafting
Pause Dream Enjoy
Craftaholic R US
Always Happy Birthday
Always Fun Challenges
Colour Crazy Challenge
Creations In Pink

Susan Renshaw said...

Lovely sparkly cards!
Thank you for sharing with Crafty Hazelnut's Weekly Christmas Challenge!
Susan
DT for CHNC
Calling All Crafters! – My personal Blog!

foleysfriend said...

What lovely cards. Really liking all the sparkle, shine and shimmer you've used. Thanks for joining us at The Merry Christmas Challenge.

sue n.

Julie said...

Very pretty card
Thanks for joining us at The Merry Christmas challenge
Julie T

Melanie said...

Wonderful Christmas cards!
Thank you soo much for taking part in our "anything goes with optional no patterned papers” challenge over at Creatalicious & good luck in the draw.
Hope to see you again in our new challenge as well…

Hugs,
Melanie
(DT-Coordinator Creatalicious Challenges)

(DT Crafty Friends)

(DT The Sketchy Challenges)


PS: Sorry for the late comment, life had been very busy these past weeks…