Saturday, September 28, 2013

Show us Your Colouring Skills at Di's Digis

The new challenge starting today over at Di's Digis is right up my street... we want you to show off those colouring skills.  Colouring is the favourite part of card making for me, sometimes I like to mix it up with some fab papers, but most of the time I just love colouring those images :-)
For today's card I decided to colour up TWO images and make a "different" sort of card...
I've used Candy Star Ted and the Background Xmas Fireplace for this card; I wanted to create a sort of scene, with Ted having fun outside in the snow knowing that inside that window there's a nice warm fire burning :-) It's really hard to photograph, but I'm sure you'll get the idea!  Crafty Calendar wants to see bears, so I'm entering there.
I cut the window panes out (just with my paper trimmer) and added acetate - it's amazing they just look like holes then you add acetate, completely clear acetate and voila they look like windows! (well they do IRL, of course it's hard to see in the pic) I coloured the images with Copics, adding some Prismacolor pencil shadows and embossing the fur trim with Pastel Opal glitter (there's some on the snow too, I know you can't see it!), Gold Stickles on the star and the centres of the flowers on the fireplace and Royal Coat Gloss on the fire. The Crafts-Too Challenge You Theme is Texture, Twist: add something shiny/glittery - plenty of glitter here, I'm in. I did some basic colouring of the back of the bear because you can see it through the windows.  Charisma Cardz want us to Decorate the inside of our card, I have in spades!
The patterned papers are digis from Bearly Mine, the Christmas Frolics set. I cropped the stripy paper for the carpet and I even scaled one of the papers down (in Word) and cropped out the picture for above the fireplace, mounting it on a gold oval cut using Nestabilities Scalloped Ovals - I love digis :-)  Totally Gorjuss wants to see Traditional Christmas Colours, and Pile It On wants to see Warm or Cool colours - I've used Warm - so I'm in.
The snowflakes are from Marianne Design, embossed with the Pastel Opal glitter again, the brad on the ones on the front is from my stash and is the only true embellishment on the whole card!! I put some on the inside of the front to cover up the "legs" of the brad.
The panel with the fireplace image opens the opposite way (a bit like a Joy Fold card I suppose) revealing the jotting panel below... more of the same paper collection and more of those snowflakes and another brad from my stash :-)  Hiding in my Craft Room has a Lots of Layers challenge so I'm entering there.
Designed to Color has Anything Goes (provided you use a coloured image of course)as do Digi MakeoverCrafts 4 EternityThrough the Craftroom DoorSimon Says ChallengeBearly Mine Challenges and Marianne Design Divas (using a product from Marianne Design, like my snowflakes!) so I'm entering all of those.
That's about it for my "little bit different" card, I had a ball making this - and worked out some of the pitfalls... like making the middle layer a little narrower than the front to give it room to close; of course I didn't work it out before I cut it, hmmm, I know for next time :-)
I hope you get a chance to check out my teamies offerings, fabulous as always.  and I hope you get a chance to "Show off your colouring skills" and join in the challenge. Great prize as always, this time it's the Cutting Café with the choice of 3 items from their shop :-) and if you use a Di's Digi image you go in an extra draw too.
Nathan and Emily... 6 months old today!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend, we are watching the footie grand final today, and making the most of tomorrow with our son Matt and his family as he is starting back at work on Tuesday... hurray!!  It has been a long (17 weeks to the day), and at times difficult journey, and while we know it's not as if nothing has happened it feels so much closer to "normal" now.  My hubby can take it a bit easier, and in a few weeks Matt will be back up to speed and we can maybe take that week off we've been trying for since MAY!  We're heading into summer, which is our "silly season" so a break before that would be great.
I've still got a few cards I haven't "blogged", I'll be back in a few days with one of them, until then, Happy Crafting, Donna.

16 comments:

Lorraine said...

This is gorgeous Donna. The design is brilliant and I love the image and your colouring.
Fabulous photo of the twins - they're adorable.
Have a lovely weekend.
Lorraine x

Sue said...

WOW! This is wonderful Donna. I really love the window design with those gorgeous images and your colouring is amazing.
So pleased that thing are going well for your Son and that he will be returning to work next week, I hope that goes okay.
Nathan and Emily look totally adorable, I love how they are holding hands and they look so happy!
Sue xx

Squirrel x said...

Oh hunny, as always your colourwork is AWESOME! What a fabulous fun and festive card, and so clever. Just LOVE IT! Hugs Sxx

Pat K said...

WOW, fabulous card Donna. Love the window you've created and the wonderful scene. Loved the pictures of the babies...they are adorable. I'm sure Matt is happy to get back to work. Enjoy your weekend. hugs, Pat K xx

Heather said...

What a delightful card Donna, I love your design and beautifully colouring of the sweet image with a wonderful inside view!!!

Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
hugs
Heather xx

Emily Lauritzen said...

Wow, this is a stunning card! I love the thought of the chilly outdoors with the warm fire inside, such a great design!
Thanks for joining us at Digi Makeover!!
<3 Emily L.-DT

debby4000 said...

Absolutely adorable, and so clever. The twins looks adorable too and good to hear about your son returning to work.
Debby

Suzi Mac said...

A stunning card Donna, love the design and the pretty snowflakes. Thank you for joining us at Marianne Design Divas with your adorable creation.
Hugs
Suzi x

Brenda Brown said...

Such a cute card and beautifully put together. Thanks for sharing it at the Crafts-Too Challenge You 'TEXTURE with a Twist' challenge this month.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Di said...

Hi Dee
i am so happy for you that things are getting back on track.
Your card is awesome i just love what you have done with the window and fireplace and the bear is coloured beautifully!!!
Stunning card and really clever
Thanks
Di xxx

Shell Shearer Swinscoe said...

Oh hun I love it, fantastic make! Yeah I love colouring I'd sit & do it all day if I could lol!
Hugs Shell xx

Leah l'Orange said...

this is BEAUTIFUL! i love the way the card opens to show the stunning details, and you've coloured it beautifully! thanks for sharing it with the Charisma Galz!

JANINE QUINN MIDDLESBROUGH, UK said...

Fab card Donna. Great design and brilliant colouring. I'm like you, I love to colour. Thanks for joining in with the fun at Totally Gorjuss this week and good luck. Hugs Janine xx

Claire Dale said...

Fab card, and love how you have even coloured the back of the bear in! Thank you for joining us at Crafty Calendar for our latest challenge!
Claire xx
CCC DT

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness how gorgeous are those babies Donna!! You must be very proud of them and so cute!! Love the card, I love your work Hugs Woo xxx

Unknown said...

Definitely a gorgeous card! The details of your creation is pretty amazing. i love how you put it all together and turned it into something this fabulous. Warmest Christmas wishes to you and your family.