Sunday, May 26, 2019

Fiona's Birthday and Farewell Rocky

I have a "mixed emotion" post today.  First I have the card I made for my sister's birthday last year 
My sister is a quilter, she makes clothes and costumes too, but her passion is quilting.  She also has a treadle machine (along with the super-duper modern job she uses all the time) which she LOVES so as soon as I saw this image "Vintage Seamstress" from the Paper Shelter, I knew exactly what Fiona was having on her birthday card, lol.
I coloured the image with Copic markers, adding some detail and extra shading with Prismacolor pencils, purple was always going to figure heavily as Fiona also looooves purple :-) 
The patterned paper is the very last of a sheet from Kaisercraft's Magic Happens pad, I've had it for years and it has been so versatile.  It has a bit of silver foil in it so I cut a border with a stitched scalloped die I can't remember the origin of  and the sentiment is also silver, it came pre-cut, from Craftworks.
I finished the inside of the card much the same as the outside.  The sentiment is a combination of the musical notes digital stamp and computer generated words... as Fiona turned 64 I added a line from the Beatles' hit "When I'm 64".  
I thought the musical reference tied in with the vintage radio in the image on the front
That's it for my card today, I'd let to enter in the following challenges:
The Paper Shelter: Birthday Girl
As You Like It: His or Hers and Why (I don't generally make very embellished cards and there are far more "hims" than "hers" in my life so "his" cards often feature... but it is nice to use feminine colours and images so I've gone for "Hers" in this case)
Catch The Bug: Colour Challenge, using this pic

Now for the second and much sadder part of my post.
We had to make the agonising decision to put my darling little friend Rocky the Dog, featured in my sidebar, to sleep last Monday.  
He has been declining for some time, going blind because of Lupus disease three years ago reduced his quality of life but he did adjust.  Unfortunately, he went deaf a few weeks ago, coupled with his other health problems and just being old (he was 12 and a half) he was truly miserable.  We kept him going as long as we could, in the end, the only thing we could do for him was let him cross the Rainbow Bridge to join his bestest mate Kruza (my son's dog) who went to wait for him in October 2017.  I hope you don't mind, I have included a few pics of "healthy Rocky" to commemorate his all too short life, and that of his little mate too



Two really great dogs, how sad I am that they have both left us... but Rocky will be more than missed; he sat by my chair every day, while I worked and while I crafted.  Knowing you've done the right thing isn't really enough sometimes, certainly not yet in this case.
I have had a lot going on, between bone grafts and a dog bite (yes Rocky, two days before he died,accidental but significant... especially with a fresh bone graft) and ailing parents (hubby's and mine) I am emotionally exhausted, I hope to find the energy to craft and blog very soon
I will be back whenever I can.  Until then, Happy Crafting, Donna x

21 comments:

Art by Zowie Dixon said...

Such a beautiful card, I adore the image! I am so very sorry to hear of your sad news about Rocky (and Kruza). It is heartbreaking when our beloved fur babies cross over the rainbow bridge. 😢 Thinking of you. Hugs Zowie xx Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to seeing you again next challenge.
Hugs, Zowie.
TTCRD DT
Crafts from the Fairy Den {My Blog}
Through The Craft Room Door
ttcrd.blogspot.com

Josephine said...

Beautiful card.

Thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers!

Linda Mc Enery said...

Donna, your card is absolutely stunning! Your colouring of the image is superb and I love how you framed it with the little scalloped edge. The Beatles song reference and how it ties in to Fiona's age and the image is just so clever. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful card with us at The Paper Shelter, and for using one of our images!

I'm so deeply sorry for your loss. Your photo collection of precious Rocky is beautiful. He looks like quite a character! Knowing he has joined his bestie, while fantastic for him, is small consolation for the hole a loss like this leaves in your heart. Sending you lots of love at this difficult time ♥︎

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi there, great birthday card. Thanks for joining in at Crafty Cardmakers and good luck with the challenge. Sorry to hear you've lost your friend, you did the best you could for him but I know it still hurts to let them go. Sending hugs, Angela xxx

Aimeslee Winans said...

Hi Donna, saw your pretty card over at Catch the Bug and came to look. It's marvelous. So sorry for your losses and prayers for rest and strength to carry your burdens. I am 63 and getting older ain't for sissies, that's for sure. My dad passed in March at 91 and he'd been saying for awhile that he never realized how hard it is to lose loved ones and friends, seems to snowball the older we get. xoxoxo

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing with us over here at World Wide Open Design Team
Challenge and best of luck with your entry.
Angela DT Member for https://worldw
ideopendesignteamchallenge.blogspot.com/


Nelly said...

Love your card and the lady sewing brought back so many childhood memories! ...thanks for sharing with Polkadoodles ...good luck Nelly

ScrappyHorses said...

Such a great card for your sister! Your coloring brings this image to life and the paper is absolutely perfect! Thanks for sharing with us at Digi Choosday! On a personal note: So sorry about your beloved Rocky. I understand your feelings; it's so hard to lose our little ones. I had a tough time after losing our Chaps, but now a couple of years later we have added a Golden and a GSD to our "pack" and the house is very full again! Peace to you. ~Katrina

Kate 'Rijacki' Ledum said...

Great card for a quilter and costumer. Cute pictures of your puppers, too!

Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to seeing you again next challenge.
Regards,
Rijacki

TTCRD DT
Rijacki's Workshop
Through The Craft Room Door
ttcrd.blogspot.com

The Red Mullet Band said...

Such a cute card!!!
I love it!
Thanks for joining us at Corrosive Challenge blog.
Ana Isabel DT Coordinator.

Judy V said...

Fabulous creation! Thanks for joining us for Week 21 at Polkadoodles Craftting Challenge!

Suze said...

Lovely card. You certainly have a lot of stress in your life at the moment. Hope things improve for you soon. Thank you for joining in the Anything Goes Challenge at Lil Patch Of Crafty Friends.

Stephanie said...

So pretty, coloring is amazing. Thanks for playing along at Catch The Bug.

Di said...

Oh Donna - my dear girl. I'm so very sad to read your post. Rocky will have taken part of your heart for sure - and sometimes the greatest gift we can give to our pets is to know when the time is right to let them go onto a peaceful sleep. No more pain for him, or his little friend. Got me in tears here now.

I do love your card Donna, very appropriate for the receiver and so hope that other things will improve for you and that soon the sun will shine brightly for you again

Sending love

Di (Snippets Playground)

Pat K said...

Beautiful card Donna. I'm sure your sister loved it. So sorry to hear of your loss. So sad when you have to make this heart wrenching decision to say goodbye to our beloved pets. Take time for yourself during this stressful time. hugs, Pat K xx

Tone K. said...

Really beautiful card! I love your image! :)
Thanks a lot for joining us at Creatalicious! :)

Michelle B. said...

Perfect card for your sister! It brought a smile to my face as soon as I saw it! So glad you joined us at Creatalicious Challenges!

Maikreations said...

Such a fun card and awesome colouring! Thank you for joining our birthday challenge at the Crafty Cardmakers and I hope you'll forgive me my late commenting! Have a happy and crafty week! Maike

Larissa said...

Your card is really fabulous! Love the sweet image. Thanks so much for joining us at the As you like it challenge.

Greetings,
Larissa

ps I am so sorry about your cute Rocky.

Annette said...

Fabulous colouring and I love the photos of your munchkins!
Hugs
Annette - Netty's Cards
xx
Proud to design for :
Lili of the Valley,
Dies to Die For,
As You Like It Challenge.

Crafting Belle said...

Beautiful card and colouring. Thank you for joining us for our Wk 10 'Anything Goes' Challenge at A Gem of a Challenge.

Why not join our other other challenges at Polkadoodles and Digi Choosday.

Hugs Lisa xxx