Monday, July 25, 2016

Devastated

 have no craft to share today, only terrible news.
My Mum, New Year 2016
My Darling Mum, who is my best friend, died yesterday morning
My father and she were going for a quick drive to the bank on Friday - despite their advanced age they are fiercely independent - and in a horrendous sequence of events the car rolled into my Mum as she was getting into it on their driveway, the door knocked her to the ground where she hit her head.
She managed to ring my sister Fiona (We live two minutes away but had gone Down South 300km away for a few days, my sister was en route to her home 400km away - she had been up for one of her regular visits, leaving my Mum and Dad's only 40 minutes before.)  Mum managed to dial my sister's number, Dad (who is very confused sometimes these days) told her that Mum had hurt her head.  My sister got her son to go to my folk's house. he was there in five minutes - the ambulance was called and arrived five minutes later.  Mum was still conscious at that point.  My sister had arrived back at their place by then, she didn't get a chance to talk to Mum as she was being put in the ambulance - when she got to the hospital with my Dad my Mum was unconscious.  she had a CT scan which showed a large bleed in her brain.  She never woke again
My husband and I had packed up at the cabin and came back up as fast as we could, we knew by that point there was no hope, I prayed only that Mum would wait for me.  Such was her love and consideration for others, she did.
 My sister and I stayed the night with Mum, playing her favourite Nat King Cole songs and slow swing music. My husband brought my Dad, who has gone to pieces, back up to the hospital at 7am.  Mum took her last breath at 9.46am, she was certified as dead at 11.12
My heart is broken
Mum has bravely battled in the minefield that is old age, with her own health problems and Dad's, she has done this with dignity, grace and love and totally without complaint. She was the most amazing of people; the more so because she really didn't realize just how special she was
I know this terrible pain will pass, we all have so many beautiful memories of her... but right now it's not enough and I am bereft
My sister is staying with my Dad for the foreseeable future; I don't think she is aware of just how much my Mum's life was dedicated to his wellbeing, but for the time being she will do her best to keep Dad in his own home... I have done the lion's share of helping them for the last four years at least, I am tired. I hope I can cope with this next challenging time
I don't know how much time or inclination I will have for my Blog, time will tell
Until then, love your parents... tell them you love them, give them an extra kiss and try not to roll your eyes... ever.  One minute you have all the time in the world to do those things, the next minute the chance is gone, forever

11 comments:

Kim x said...

I am so sorry for your loss Donna, words are just not enough.
Remember the good times Hun.
Hugs Kimx

Pat K said...

Oh Donna..my heart breaks for you and your family. I'm so sorry to hear your news...so very tragic and incredibly sad. Sending you love and hugs and take care of yourself hun. xx

Kathie said...

Oh Donna, I've just read your blog and your sad news. This was a horrendous accident, and it was an accident. Your poor Dad. My heart really feels for you and your family and extended family there are no words to tell you how sorry I am to hear this. I thinking of you and wish you all the very best at this time. I so wish I lived close by to help you out. Keep strong and keep you chin up I know that your husband is by your side.
Hugs always
Kathie
xox

Trish said...

I am so saddened by your loss,she sounds like a special lady.Take care ,you are in my thoughts and prayers x

Anonymous said...

Donna and family, may your dearest Mum rest in peace...

Tracey T said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, Donna - what a dreadful shock it must be. Hang on to the memories of happy times with your mum and know that you more than did your part in enabling your mum and dad to keep their independence in recent years. You'll need a lot of strength to get through the next wee while but you can do it. Things will gradually get easier, just give yourself some time to adjust. Sending you lots of love, Tracey xxxx

Teresa said...

Hello Donna, Sorry I haven't visited you here for such a long time I'm afraid I lost interest in blogging when I lost my daughter, You have my heartfelt sympathy Donna, I am so sorry for your loss, take care, hugs Teresa xx

Audrey Ernst (hippieaud) said...

Oh goodness Donna, I am so sorry to read this. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this sad time. Remember to take time for yourself, to focus on the happy times you enjoyed with your mother and don't let anyone pressure you into healing more quickly than needed - take as much time to grieve as you need. Many hugs and blessings my sweet friend. Audrey

Craftyrose said...

Dear Donna, I truly am sorry for your loss. Sending you my heart felt wishes now and for the difficult time ahead'xxx

Wendy said...

Oh Donna...I am so sorry to hear of your loss.Thinking of you and Sending hugs your way.
Wendy xx

Di said...

Dear Donna

I don't know if you look at your blog any more. I came here as I came across an old comment from you on my blog about fairy penguins and thought 'Hmm, it's been a while since Donna came to play with us in the Playground'. Oh my sweet girl, I'm so, so sorry to read about your Mum. How tragic and truly devastating for you all. Words fail me really but please know that I send my love and sincere sympathy.

Di xx